Home » Diary Home » Week of 11 July 2005

Photograph of Robert Bruce Thompson Barbara Fritchman Thompson Diary

Week of 11 July 2005

Latest Update: Sunday, 17 July 2005 4:00 p.m.

Monday, 11 July 2005

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

As promised, here at the pictures from my day trip to the Highland Games.

Like any other festival, things are going on all over the place at the same time. These pictures are just a few of the things we saw and heard. If you enjoy upbeat drum/pipe music I recommend the group Clann an Drumma.

This was the last group we heard at the end of the day. I could not get a picture of them from where we were standing. They are a young, very energetic group of guys with one lady who all play various percussion instruments except for the one guy who plays the bagpipes. They had the area in the woods around their stage rocking. I bought one of their CD's. They are from Glasgow.

From left to right, opening ceremony parade and some of the dancing competition.


Caber tossing and Tom Moore, professional dog trainer and sheep dog handler with one of his dogs, Bea.


Another clan parade, a drum corp band, and the entrance to the games with Grandfather Mountain in the background. If you are approaching the mountain from several different directions, the mountain from a distance looks like an old man lying face up.



Tuesday, 12 July 2005

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

No update.


Wednesday, 13 July 2005

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

This is one of those busy weeks with evening activities. Monday night I went to the gym then had to stop by the pet supply store on the way home. Last night I attended our neighborhood meeting. We hold meetings once or twice a year to discuss things going on in Town and Country. I had missed the last several and wanted to attend last night to bring up a few concerns and questions I had.

Tonight was gym again. We had a fairly good storm come through while I was cooking dinner. The storm blew on through but the rain has continued. At least the rain cooled things off a little from the hot and muggy conditions we have had over the last several days.

I finished reading another book in the Bed and Breakfast series written by Mary Daheim who also writes the Alpine, OR setting series. The Alpine series is better than the B&B series but I am continuing on with both.


Thursday, 14 July 2005

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

We have another round of storms move through this afternoon. One while I was at work and another one while I was at the library for Friends Meeting. It was still raining pretty hard when we came out. I made a quick stop at the grocery store before coming home. By the time I came out from the store the rain had stopped and it was hot and muggy once again.

I really cannot complain since it was not all that long ago we were under a severe drought situation for several years. It would be nice to get a clear night once in awhile to get in some observing though.

Last night I started another Peter Robinson, Inspector Banks mystery, Blood in the Root. Otherwise, not much else going on.


Friday, 15 July 2005

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

It was another rather hectic day at work winding up a very busy week for me. With the forecast for tomorrow to be hot and muggy I decided to go come home and mow the lawn this evening. With all the rain the grass was pretty high. As I mentioned last night, two years ago we were under severe drought conditions. Our four year departure from normal precipitation was -21 inches. This morning I checked the paper and we are down to -.58. 

We ate a light supper then I needed to run to the drugstore to pick up a few things. So far, we have managed to remain thunderstorm free for today and this evening. Duncan is very happy about that. He has become so afraid during storms he tries to climb in the bathtub, into corners, or where ever he things he can go to hide. Unfortunately he does not realize how tall and big he is when he tries to wedge himself into a small place. Right now he is sacked out on his side beside my desk chair taking it easy.

I hope you have a great weekend.


Saturday, 16 July 2005

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

As most of you know, Bob set me up with a new mail program last week while I was at the Highland Games. I can now synchronize my mail/calendar with my hand held Clie. With my busy schedule last week I just barely had time to check my mail in the evenings. As I found little problems that needed tweaking I mentioned them to Bob so he could fix them. This afternoon when I sat down to check my mail I remembered I forgot to tell him I was not getting mail at my Fritchman mail address. I use it for some list groups, mail order confirmations, etc.

Yep, you guessed it. Once he finally got it fixed I had 249 messages on the server waiting to be downloaded. Guess what I will be doing off and on tonight and tomorrow?

It has been a routine Saturday with Bob and I both getting up around 7:30. After reading the paper and eating breakfast I started on the house cleaning. I cleaned the bathrooms before stripping the bed for clean linens. I took those down to wash and to let the guys out back. It was still somewhat overcast and very humid. I put the sheets in to wash, swept out the basement area around the door to upstairs and out into the back and retrieved the Shark vacuum to clean the stairs. In those ten minutes I was already sweating without having done anything yet!

Before I did the stairs I took the dogs down to visit with Emma and Oscar while Mimi and I caught up on news. We have not had a chance to visit for the last couple of weeks from being so busy. We only stayed out about 20 minutes by which time the dog's tongues were already hanging out from the heat/humidity.

After I finished the stairs I vacuumed and dusted the upstairs finishing up by lunch time. I turned on the British Open golf tournament to watch while I rested, ate lunch, and read a magazine. Other than taking the dogs out for a quick walk I remained on the couch reading and watching golf until well after three before finally taking my shower and settling down at the computer.

I did manage to stay awake last night long enough to finish the Inspector Banks. Next up, another Alpine, OR mystery, Alpine Decoy.

Storms are forecast again for tonight. We did get a pretty loud one last night around 10:30 but it produced very little in the way of rain.


Sunday, 17 July 2005

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

As you know I do not post my golf scores when dad and I play. Mainly, because there is nothing really to brag about. I play from the white tees and shoot anywhere from an 82 to 92 depending on the day. I beat myself with my short game, as is the case with most amateurs. Up until earlier this year, my dad also played from the white tees. Just in case you are not familiar with the game, the longest tees on most general public courses are blue. For years, ever since I started playing golf, I played from the blue (or what is known as) the men's tees.

Dad and I switched to the white tee's a few years ago when he started not being able to hit the ball as far. The white tees are the middle range tees. As with anyone who gets older, dad's distance had gotten a lot shorter. To make the game fair in terms of scoring he now plays from the Senior tee's. These tee's are about halfway between the women's and the white tee's for average golfers. That gives him about a 15 to 25 yard advantage in keeping up with my when I hit off the white's plus he can actually reach most of the par 4's in at least two or three strokes. There are also ladies tee's which are the shortest and which I have never played from.

Today, I decided I will brag about my round this morning only because I birdied one of the hardest holes on the course. For non-golfers that means I had a score of three on a par four. As a matter of fact, dad and I both played pretty well this morning. Dad has had one hole-in-one and one hole in from the fairway on a par 4. I have come close to a hole-in-one but never had one but I have holed it from the fairway on a par 5 for an eagle one time.

Although it was hot and sunny this morning it was not too bad. We did have a slight breeze and it was actually pretty cool in the shade. We tee off around 7:20 in the summer and finish up by 11:30. After lunch, which mom fixed for us plus Frances came over, I made a quick stop at the bookstore on the way home. However, it is now 91 degrees and feels like 96 with a possibility of those combinations reaching 100 degrees this afternoon.

We are going over to Paul and Mary's for dinner so I best finish this up and hit the shower.


Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 by Barbara Fritchman Thompson. All Rights Reserved.