Home » Diary Home » Week of 2 October 2006

Photograph of Robert Bruce Thompson Barbara Fritchman Thompson Diary

Week of 2 October 2006

Latest Update: Sunday, 8 October 2006 9:00 a.m.

Monday, 2 October 2006

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

I am one of the few people who really like Mondays. I am usually rested and ready to get the week going. Well, today was not a good Monday. I spent two hours on the phone with our tech support guy for our CMS software. I have some major problems that he could not make sense of. He is a really good engineer who knows out software in depth. Finally he gave up and reported the problem to the software company.

After lunch I started working on the destruction stuff. This year we are destroying from the CMS database for the first time. I am inventing the process as we go along. As I work on the returned reports I am also setting up the procedures to follow. Sure enough, last week I "started over" three times by having to go back through the reports I had already done to add another procedure. This afternoon though I was finally on a roll when I discovered yet another step that has to be covered. Yep, back came out all the reports I had been through to cover the ground again.

Needless to say  I was ready to hit the gym on the way home and work out my frustrations. Just as we finished eating Stephanie called to see if I wanted to walk. We took the usual short course with the dogs then finished our walk after returning them back home.


Tuesday, 3 October 2006

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

Steadily busy. Today was better just kept busy all day long. I worked through lunch to make up time for later this week. Tomorrow morning I have an 8 am dentist appointment. Tomorrow evening I will pick Bob up after work to head over to the library to set up for the book sale. We will grab dinner afterwards.

Thursday morning I have another errand to run that will make me late again. Thursday after work it will be back to the library for the opening of the book sale. Posts may be sporadic the next couple of days.


Wednesday, 4 October 2006

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

No update.


Thursday, 5 October 2006

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

Things are still very busy and hectic at work. Just before quitting time, which is 5 pm, I checked the weather channel radar. The forecast had been for rain/storms to start late this afternoon. There was one very large, green/red/yellow blob on the radar just west of our area of the county and coming our way. As I drove out of town toward home the skies were very dark, much like what happened last Thursday.

I called Bob to see if we had any weather alerts or if it was pouring rain. If so, I was going to skip the grocery and pet store stops and come on home. Bob said there were no alerts and it was not even raining.

Sure enough, when I got the strip mall where I shop the skies had cleared and the storm had moved on off to the north and east. If the forecasters can be believed, the temperatures tonight are to be 60. Right now it is 70 and very muggy. Tomorrow's highs are to be 60 with 10 to 15 mph winds. If the temperatures are to fall that far and stay that cold with a front coming through usually get some kind of storm system with it.

We were walking the dogs after dinner when Stephanie asked me if I wanted to walk. I had Bob bring the dogs back in and we too off for a quick walk at the time thinking we might still have to beat the rain. So far we've been spared.

Last night I read a short Hamish, A Highland Christmas. It was only about 120 pages, almost like a short story. I had finished up  Chow Down late Wednesday night. Next up, another Anne Perry, Highgate Rise.


Friday, 6 October 2006

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

Just plain old tired! It was another frustrating day at work with computer software problems, project interruptions, etc, etc. The day more or less capped off what my entire week has been like.

Finally, about 3:30 my boss asked me if I would like to go over to our off site storage facility and check on something that needed one of us to check into. I called and told them I would be there at 4. My boss said for me to call him with a report and then I could go on home. WOW! Just what I needed. I took care of business, ran a quick errand, and made it home a little after 5.

On the weather front. We did get that storm, about 10:30 last night. We had about .67 inches of rain by morning. It was supposed to rain all day with temperatures steadily falling from 68 degrees to 55 by mid afternoon. As I drove home the skies looked wicked with big dark clouds mixed in with white all on a very gray background. However, it had not rained all day but the wind blew drying off the grass and leaves from the rain.

I checked the radar, nothing in sight so I hurried out to get the lawn mowed. In addition to be fairly high the leaves were pretty thick in some places. With more rain forecast for tomorrow I wanted to get it mowed tonight if possible. Other than a sprinkle or two I manged to get finished before it rained or got too dark to see. 


Saturday, 7 September 2006

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

The dogs let us sleep in until 8. I left the house around 9 to make a drug store stop before heading over to the library. I was scheduled to work the book sale from 10 - 12.

Back home, I fixed a bit of lunch before starting on the house cleaning. I went downstairs to put in a load of laundry. I decided to put the storm windows in the lower basement window back in. Bob was trying to help but got frustrated when I was telling him out to do it. Who could blame him. He was having trouble getting them to go back in and I was trying to tell him what I thought was the correct orientation since I took them out. Being the original windows in the house, these are the ones I struggled with for half an hour last week to remove. I should have thrown them away at that point.

After Bob got tired of arguing with me and wrestling with the windows he headed back up stairs to leave me to it. I got the damn thing wedged in the frame, torqued it too much making and my hand slip and... yep you can guess what happen. Down goes my hand through the glass sitting at a vertical angle. Fortunately I hit it with the back of my hand along the knuckles. Bob came flying back down the steps to see if I was alright. He yelled to see if I got cut. I told him no then looked down to see a couple of minor gouges in the skin that were not bleeding a little. Nothing major. While he cleaned up glass I came upstairs, smeared on some antibacterial cream and put gauze over it then wrapped that part of my hand with vet wrap so I could put on gloves and help Bob with the clean up. No worse for the wear.

I finished up the weekly cleaning and have now parked myself at my desk for the usual organizing and bill paying chores.

It is a nasty day to be outside. Winds gusting up to 20 mph, temperatures in the mid to upper 50's and periods of rain.


Sunday, 8 October 2006

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

I am off this morning for a little over night trip. This past Thursday morning I drove my folks over to nearby Greensboro to one of my mom's sister's house. Each year their only living brother gets his daughter's house on an island just off the Wilmington, NC coast. He invites the five remaining sisters down for a few days. In the past mom and dad have missed a couple of times due to being out of town or other having other plans. My aunt in Greensboro does not always go but when she does her son drives her down.

This year my folks wanted to go but I asked dad not to drive down. It is too far a trip for him at his age for driving. I offered to drive them down  and go back to pick them up on Sunday. Instead, since my aunt was going too, my cousin drove them all down on Thursday morning. I shall drive down today, spend the night, and we will all return home tomorrow. It is about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour trip. I wanted to get down early this afternoon to have time to enjoy a partial day at the beach and a visit with my aunts and uncles.

The weather is still yucky with gray skies, periods of rain, and cool temperatures. The coast is to be the same but somewhat warmer.


Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 by Barbara Fritchman Thompson. All Rights Reserved.