Home » Diary Home » Week of 21 April 2008

Photograph of Barbara Fritchman Thompson Barbara Fritchman Thompson Diary

Week of 21 April 2008

Latest Update: Sunday, 27 April 2008 2:00 p.m.

Monday, 21 April 2008

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

Yes, well, Monday again and a rainy one at that. We missed all the storms that came through yesterday. They went either north or south of us. We had a lot of wind and off and on clouds but that's about it. 

Be sure to read Bob's page for today. I remember when Kim's parents moved in down the street. He was terrified of Kerry and Duncan so whenever he was out front working in the yard I made sure to keep the dogs well on the other side of the street when I walked them. If I did not have the dogs we would chat for a few minutes. Kim's dad passed away after a short illness. Before Kim moved in I would check on Mary after we had bad weather or an ice storm to make sure she was okay. As you can see from the picture Jas and her mom are both very small especially standing next to Bob.  It's fun to help a bright, well mannered young lady along who has a great deal of potential with a little extra support.  If we stop to talk with Kim and/or Jas if they are out I always back away after a few minutes and let Bob and Jas talk. I think she enjoys having an adult conversation with a grown up male who listens to her and treats her like an adult. Jas's father died when Jas was only 2. Living in a house with your mom and your grandmother I am sure can be trying at times as a young teenage girl trying to grow up. 

This morning we woke up to cloudy skies and drizzle. I did not go out at lunch choosing instead to rest and read during my 45 minutes. Next time I looked out one of the attorney windows when I walked by an office it was pouring down but by the time I left work it was just drizzling. About ten minutes after I got to the gym it started raining pretty good. We had enough rain to at least give the stuff I planted over the weekend a good drink and wash some of the pollen out of the air.

And of course it has turned cool enough for Bob to have to turn the heat back on. Spring weather in the Triad. Gotta love it.


Tuesday, 22 April 2008

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

Another busy day at work. I started reading the next Craig mystery, Vineyard Prey, during lunch before taking a quick 20 minute walk to get some fresh air.

It's off season on the Vineyard, the first of December. Craig includes all his usual cast of characters, Zee, the kids, etc. J.W. finds himself helping his Nam buddy, an American Indian who lives on the other side of the island, Joe Begay. Begay finds himself on the run when three of a group of five agents from a long ago mission wind up dead in the same year. As Begay fears he is the next target J. W. steps in to track down the killer, known as the Easter Bunny, while trying to keep his family from harm. Now the island is overrun with deer hunters and human hunters as well as FBI, secret agents, and men in suits. 


Wednesday, 23 April 2008

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

I can't belief I read the whole thing! Yep, I stayed up until 11:30 last night, way past my bedtime to finish the Vineyard. Once I got over midway through the book at my bedtime I just had to keep going to see how it would end. Even though I guessed who the killer was it did not ruin the ending for me at all.

Tonight I had to come home and mow the grass, again. With all the rain, warm weather, and Scott's feeding it just grows and grows. I had just enough room in the yard cart to hold the second cutting. I will have Bob switch to  my mulching blade this weekend.

We have another robin family move in over the top s curve of the gutter downspout. Last year one built in the back. Fortunately the babies hatched and flew the nest before we had the gutters replaced. This year they chose the front gutter by our bedroom window. I imagine we will be hearing the chirps of little babies while lying in bed before too long. I should be able to get good pictures from the front porch once the hatch.

It was another busy day at work. I have several projects going at one time which is good. I like to stay busy. Time to pick out another book from the library reserve pile. 


Thursday, 24 April 2008

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

No update.


Friday, 25 April 2008

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

Gosh it's been a long, busy week. Last night I met a friend for dinner at the nearby Italian restaurant. It's nothing fancy but a nice, inexpensive place to meet for a chat. Afterwards I popped in next door in the Harris Teeter to pick up the few things we needed from the grocery store for the week.

I am reading the latest Anne Perry, Buckingham Palace Gardens. As you can tell from the title Pitt finds himself investigating a murder at the Royal residence. The victim is a prostitute hired for a night of entertainment at the Palace while hosting four men and their wives for a week while the Queen is not in residence. The men are there to investigate the building of a major railway to run from Africa to Egypt. Pitt enlists the aid of Gracie, their household maid to go undercover in the Palace to try and learn more about what happened the night of the murder. Charlotte plays a very minor role in the book but Perry brings in the formidable Aunt Vespasia and Charlotte's sister Emily. Once again Pitt must solve a very delicate matter on the quiet to prevent British government scandal and social embarrassment.

It was such a beautiful day today I took my lunch and book outside to enjoy the warm temperatures and sunshine. As usual more rain and cooler weather is forecast for the weekend. Blah!


Saturday, 26 April 2008

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

I've spent a busy morning doing yard activities. Frances and Al stopped by around 8:45 this morning with a very nice nandina bush Al dug up from the flower bed in their front yard. I got up a little after 8 and was reading the paper when she called to let me know they were on their way. I quickly threw on some shorts and a t-shirt and grabbed my load of work clothes to put in the washer when I went down to meet them out back. We chatted for a few minutes before they took off and I came back in  for a bite of breakfast and to strip the bed linens to take them when I went back down. I had Bob let Duncan out the front and took Malcolm down with me to let them run around while I started in the yard. 

Bob came down to change the blade on the mower to mulching from catching and helped me carry the tub with the bush down to the backyard near the property line in the natural area. After I planted the bush I fertilized the azaleas along the house on both sides. My next door neighbor came over for a chat. I showed her the plants I transplanted from Marcie's last week. They have a bluebird box at the end of their driveway. She took me over to show me the baby bluebirds. You can open the front of the box and see them in the nest. The parents nor the birds mind of you look in on them. My robin has been sitting on her nest all morning which must mean she has laid her eggs. The little bluebirds, four of them, were all curled up together to stay warm. 

After I did a few more odds and ends I cranked up the mower. It was not all that high but I wanted to raise the mower to summer mowing height and make the first mulching cut of the season, about a quarter or so inch of grass. The forecast is to be rain tomorrow and Monday which would have made it way too high by Tuesday if I had not cut it down today. They had called for thunderstorms to get here by noon but other than some thick clouds that moved in and blew over the sun has been out all morning. When I finished mowing I put down some black ant killer along the curb and the crack in the back driveway then watered all the newly planted stuff. With the forecast of rain/thunder showers it is always a hit and miss as to how much rain we will actually get. It's very warm today, high 70's to low 80's but is to be cooler tomorrow.

I was hauling the front yard hose reel to the front on my little rolling cart when Bob came out the front door. He unloaded and hooked it up to faucet for me. I was shocked when I came in to get the broom to sweep off the walkway that is was 1 pm. The maple seeds are falling. We call them helicopters because they look like copter blades when the twirl to the ground. I front yard, walkway, and porch are covered in them. Something else to track in the house on dog paws and our shoes.


Sunday, 27 April 2008

[Last Week] [Monday] [Tuesday] [Wednesday] [Thursday] [Friday] [Saturday] [Sunday] [Next Week]

We finally got a thunderstorm last night about the time for the dogs last time out. We made it back in just as the rains came. Earlier in the afternoon the storms stayed north of us.

This morning I did the weekly house cleaning finishing up around 10. I called dad to let him know I would pick him up around 11 to go to the driving range and hit some golf balls. On the way out I loaded the car up with cardboard to make a deposit at the recycling bins.

I have not picked up a golf club in about four months. Every time dad goes to the golf course for his golf association meeting the owner, George, asks dad when we are coming out even to just ride around and hit some balls. Well, before I did that I knew I had to at least get in some practice. I was not sure how either knee was going to behave let alone how I would hit the ball.

The right knee I had surgery on did pretty well. For right handed golfers the pivot motion and weight load is not as severe as it for the left knee. That is one I was worried about since I know I have a tear which needs to be fixed as some point and is the one giving me the most trouble since the surgery. For the first dozen shots I was a little tentative, reluctant to try to follow through with full weight. It twinged a bit but nothing I can't live with. Dad did okay with his bad knee and being 85 years old. We spent about half an hour hitting through all the clubs in our. Toward the end I had most of my swing rhythm back. If we can a get a nice, clear weekend perhaps we might give it try on the course.

Today is cloudy and cool though no rain has fallen. More of chance late this afternoon and tonight. When I got home I helped Bob unload the astronomy stuff from the  white truck for him to drive over to the airport. While we were doing that the guys had a chance to run around and play.


Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 by Barbara Fritchman Thompson. All Rights Reserved.